Thursday, May 9, 2013

Things That Have Happened in the Last Forever

1) E. L. Konigsburg died, which is sad, because she was an awesome author (she's got TWO Newbery gold medals, which only a few other authors have (another is Lois Lowry) and she's the ONLY AUTHOR EVER IN THE HISTORY OF AUTHORS to have won both a Newbery gold medal AND a Newbery honor IN THE SAME YEAR--that's like winning best actress and best supporting actress at one time!).  This is also particularly sad, because From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler was my favorite book when I was in 6th grade, and I've read it probably more times than any other book (in fact, my copy was so ragged that it completely fell apart and was held together with a rubber band).  If you haven't read it, it's the story of Claudia and Jamie Kincaid, a sister and brother who team up to run away from home to live / hideout in the Metropolitan Museum of freaking Art, which, if you haven't been, is MASSIVE and wonderful and solemn and gorgeous and is part of the heart of New York City, one of the best places on the planet.  They sleep in Marie Antoinette's bed.  They bathe in the glorious fountain in the museum cafe (then realize that they can um, borrow some of the coins people have wished on to buy food and other necessities).  They hide in bathrooms from security guards.  Oh, and they end up finding a mystery to solve, too.  The book is sort of old timey, yeah, since it was published in the late 60's, but the old timey-ness comes across more as quaint than lame (like, it costs them a dollar or something each to travel by train from Connecticut to New York; um, hello, the last time I took the train from New Jersey into New York it was like, 40 bucks or something, and Jersey's way closer to the city than Connecticut is).  ANYWAY.  Mrs. Konigsburg's passing is a bummer for sure.  Rest in peace, lady.


2) These grass heads made by some TAG'ers are awesome, plain and simple.


3) Oh, and HERE'S something else that happened: I updated this blog!  Amazing!  Big pat on the back to me!  I've decided to make it a goal to write at least once a week.  I used to think things like sleep and eating and snuggling my cats are important, but obviously I've had my priorities wrong.  This will happen, even it means doubling my general intake of 3 cups of coffee a day.  I might just die, but rest assured, this blog will be updated.

(What I will probably look like in a few weeks)

1 comment:

  1. Those grass heads look like the pumpkin heads...

    ReplyDelete