Sunday, February 17, 2013

Upcoming Stuff: Earth Day

April means Earth Day!  Also National Poetry Month, Arbor Day, Holocaust Remembrance Day, Tax Day, Record Store Day (so awesome), April Fool's Day, Jazz Appreciation Month, and Administrative Professionals' Day!  I know everyone is dying to have a wild celebration in honor of admin professionals, but I think at APL we'll just stick to Earth Day and National Poetry Month (I myself am a huge fan of both trees and poems, although I am less a fan of poems about trees).

I derive a lot of satisfaction from recycling and upcycling and making cool stuff out of junky stuff, because a)you save something from being tossed and creating more waste on our planet; b)you can make and own something that no one else has; c)your DIY skills and planet-saving savvy will impress that cute kid you've been eyeing; and d)making stuff is probably a better use of my time than watching cat videos on YouTube (or is it...*).

Anyone have any ideas of stuff you'd like to recycle into other stuff sometime in April at APL?  I kind of like these things:


*Yes. yes it is

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea! A good one for teens. I think anything that requires more creativity the better!

    Someone makes awesome jewelry out of recycled/upcycled stuff.
    https://www.facebook.com/FanPlasticAccessories?fref=ts

    I do think that would be hard at this teen event but still worth a look!

    Im super pumped for this :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stuff she makes is pretty excellent. I love the colors! I wish we had more time / equipment / resources to be able to do stuff like that here at APL. I'm hoping to have more makerspace-type stuff at 515 when we reopen....

    ReplyDelete