Even though I never had the chance to experience hanging out in the old library over at Douglas Ave, I'm still super excited about getting back in there once the renovation in complete, especially now that I know my wish for a chalkboard wall in the Teen Zone will probably become a reality (chalk wall, guys!!!). I have big plans for the space there--I'm thinking framed teen art, magnetic poetry up on the chalkboard wall, a giant TV for gaming and movies, a Scrabble wall, and secret passageways!
Okay, so the Scrabble wall and secret passageways probably won't happen (and by "probably" I mean "definitely"). But HOW AWESOME ARE THESE. Not that I believe in having secret, exclusive programming or anything, but....We could totally have secret, exclusive programming in there. Or maybe something more normal and less cultish, like a little reading nook (and then, you know, the occasional secret program). I know this second one here doesn't lead to a secret passage or room, but it still ranks high up on my list of Most Awesome Bookshelves Ever. It's round. It's in the ceiling. Maybe if we all beg enough we can convince the powers-that-be that APL NEEDS one of these things (it would be fun directing people to whatever they're looking for, too: "Oh yeah, "The Hunger Games" is down that aisle, over to the right, and up the ladder. You can't miss it!").


And the giant Scrabble board? Now that I think about it, this is probably totally doable. I personally am not that great at Scrabble (though in all my nerdy glory, I did once try to study the Scrabble dictionary in an attempt to be an awesome and impressive player; sadly, it did not work, although I did one time manage to use up all my tiles on a single word, which was definitely the highlight of my Scrabble career); but I am endlessly entertained by how competitive and like, totally ruthless people can get when they play. I think I smell a teen program coming on!
Okay, so the Scrabble wall and secret passageways probably won't happen (and by "probably" I mean "definitely"). But HOW AWESOME ARE THESE. Not that I believe in having secret, exclusive programming or anything, but....We could totally have secret, exclusive programming in there. Or maybe something more normal and less cultish, like a little reading nook (and then, you know, the occasional secret program). I know this second one here doesn't lead to a secret passage or room, but it still ranks high up on my list of Most Awesome Bookshelves Ever. It's round. It's in the ceiling. Maybe if we all beg enough we can convince the powers-that-be that APL NEEDS one of these things (it would be fun directing people to whatever they're looking for, too: "Oh yeah, "The Hunger Games" is down that aisle, over to the right, and up the ladder. You can't miss it!").
And the giant Scrabble board? Now that I think about it, this is probably totally doable. I personally am not that great at Scrabble (though in all my nerdy glory, I did once try to study the Scrabble dictionary in an attempt to be an awesome and impressive player; sadly, it did not work, although I did one time manage to use up all my tiles on a single word, which was definitely the highlight of my Scrabble career); but I am endlessly entertained by how competitive and like, totally ruthless people can get when they play. I think I smell a teen program coming on!

No comments:
Post a Comment