It's March 1! Here are some sort-of interesting facts about today:
Note: You don't have to be in 7th or 8th grade to vote! Any teen can participate by voting online or stopping in the Teen Zone @ APL and filling out a paper ballot.
- 1692: Sarah Goode, Sarah Osborne, and Tituba were arrested for practicing witchcraft in Salem, Massachusetts. They probably never dreamed that would one day inspire novels and essays and entire college courses, not to mention movies (I don't know if they'd have been more shocked knowing they'd one day be important historical figures or learning that one day there'd be such a crazy, magical thing as "moving pictures," i.e. movies)
- 1803 and 1877: Ohio became the 17th state in 1803 and "most" of Nebraska became the 37th in 1877 (happy birthday, Ohio and Nebraska!)
- 1941: Captain America first appears in comic books (making him 72 years old!)
- 1978: Charlie Chaplin's coffin was stolen from a cemetery in Switzerland. Apparently two guys dug it up, then reburied it in hopes of getting some money from Chaplin's family. I gotta say, I've never heard of anyone kidnapping a dead body, coffin and all, for ransom. It kind of seems like a lot of work to go through, though I guess dead kidnapped people are quieter than live ones. ANYWAY. So a lot of other stuff has happened on this day throughout history, but I'm just going to share one more, my favorite:
- 1980: Snow falls in Florida.
You know what else happened on March 1st? The APL March Madness Middle/High School Book Battle polls have officially opened!!! You can vote each week beginning today for your favorite books--"The Fault in Our Stars" or "Bootleg: Murder, Moonshine, and the Lawless Years of Prohibition"? "The Giver" or "The Westing Game"? You choose! This week 16 books are competing against one another; next week, 8 will be competing, and so on until there's one winner, the MOST AWESOME AMAZING TEEN BOOK CHAMPION WINNER as decided by you guys! We'll keep updating the bracket in the Teen Zone here at APL to reflect which books make it through to the next round.
Note: You don't have to be in 7th or 8th grade to vote! Any teen can participate by voting online or stopping in the Teen Zone @ APL and filling out a paper ballot.

That bracket looks AWESOME!! Do you mind if I give the idea of the book battle to HCL?
ReplyDeleteDefinitely pass the idea along! Wish I had a picture of the filled in bracket, but I don't know if I ever got one before we finally took it down. "The Giver" won!
ReplyDelete